We kind of love soups around here. In fact, my KIDS eat soup like crazy too. Especially if we let them dunk bread in it.
I’ve been making this recipe for Spiced Sweet Potato & Lentil Soup for a while, and it really is SO easy. Mostly because it’s in the crockpot. You can substitute Butternut squash for the sweet potato too if you don’t like sweet potatoes.
Spiced Sweet Potato & Lentil Soup (For the Crockpot)
- 1 Cup dry lentils (rinsed)
- 2 1/2 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. garam masala
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Rinse and drain lentils.
- In a crockpot, place lentils, squash, onion, carrot, and celery.
- Sprinkle garlic and garam masala over vegetables.
- Pour broth over all.
- Cover and cook on low heat setting for 8-9 hours or on high for 4 to 4 1/2 hours.
- If cooking on high, make sure it is not losing moisture.
- If so, add water as needed. 5 minutes prior to serving, add butter and let it melt.
Doesn’t that sound easy? It really is. Let me know if you try it! The garam masala is what makes this soup, and it’s one of my favorite spices to cook with. Don’t try to substitute it, or it won’t taste as good!